Thursday, June 6, 2013

Chapter Eight-- What are you Waiting for?

Most people look at marriage as an end. Most fairy tales have conditioned us to treat it as a end. You see the couple riding off into the sunset and they live happily ever after. Most of us know that this isn't true. When you get married things are great for the honeymoon period and then eventually you start learning your husband's faults. You cannot quit nick picking. You may fight a little or just try to ignore the problem. I remember my husband used to drive my nuts because he can take many months to plan a project. I'm an engineer so I take just enough time to plan and then it is built quickly. I don't,t have time to think and rethink all my plans. I measure twice cut once, but I don't spend long hours agonizing over things. He does. Something that should take two weeks will take two months. God gave me the ability to visualize things spatially. God didn't give him that gift. 

I remember him always saying it will be better before you have kids. And you know what it was. Do you know why? Because I choose to change my attitude about it. Instead of looking at it as a problem I started to be happy that God made us differently. I started to see his gifts for what they are gifts from God. 

In this section Joyce asks us "What are you waiting for?" We don't need to be perfect. To be honest I still sometimes find myself in the "here we go again. He is building a shed. How long will this take him?". But then I focus on the positives. At least he likes to build things, we are spacing money and he is teaching the girls to use tools safely. What is holding youth back today from being happy? Let's try and be happy today. Not tomorrow. Not next week. Not once your kid is potty trained. But today!

On a side note how did everyone do with my seven day challenge from last week. I had fun with it. I'm off to workout. Hope you all have a blessed day.

Dear God, 
Thank you for the gifts that you have given each of us. Thank you that we have the choice to live our lives happily. Please help each lady to be happy today. Please help them to see every obstacle/trouble as a joy and blessing and not dwell on the negative. In Jesus name I pray. Amen. 

1 comment:

  1. I can so relate to the 'project' scenario! My husband could not make a decision this week and kept trying various things when the solution we ended up with was the one I gave him a couple weeks ago - yet we wait until the week my daughter graduates and we are expecting a houseful of people before we (HE)ends up doing my initial recommendation - He had to think and think and think and try and try and try - URG....we all have God given gifts. Mine is intuition - I just have a very uncanny intuition about people and circumstances and most of the times it ends up being point on. Thanks for sharing this great blog Kara!

    ReplyDelete