Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Chapter 8; Behavior 5: The Happy Habit

 
When I read the sections I was to blog on – Focus and Examine Your Goals, my first thought was “we have already talked about those.”  In chapter 4 I wrote on Focus and then God gently reminded me again that I needed repetition.  I needed to be reminded – again and again. 
Everything I say, I think, I do – no matter how small - from my attitude upon waking in the morning  to brushing my teeth before bed is a choice.  The things I focus on and the goals I set are all choices I get to make.

As I started thinking about choices, I thought of the George Jones’ song……
I've had choices
Since the day that I was born
There were voices
That told me right from wrong
If I had listened
No I wouldn't be here today
Living and dying
With the choices I made
(I love country music!)
In order to create a happy habit, I have to choose to be happy.  Choosing to be happy, to look at the good and not the bad, to focus on doing what is right – these things do not come naturally.  When life throws difficulties at us or throws us off balance, it is easy to lose focus  - we start looking at the negative.   We do what comes natural.  But we have the Holy Spirit living in us, to guide us so that we can develop the Happy habit.    
As I looked back in my notes, Joyce reminds us our behavior (our choices) is controlled by our thinking.   The book of Romans reminds us that we are dead to sin.
 In the same way, count yourselves dead to sin but alive to God in Christ Jesus. Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body so that you obey its evil desires.   Romans 6:11-12
 Since we are dead to sin & alive in Christ Jesus, we need to take a good look at our choices.  What are we focused on?  What are our goals?

"Focus on giants you stumble. Focus on God your giants tumble" - Max Lucado.
(Thanks Sherry who commented on my previous Focus blog.)
 
“Is your focus on why me or who can?”  Linda Kuhar, CCLC on facebook today.  J
 
Joyce tells us on #1 goal should be to develop a close intimate & personal relations with God through Jesus Christ.  Since God is Life, how can we hope to enjoy life apart from Him?

I really liked  Leanne’s 12 Things poster on yesterday’s blog so I am going to back it up with scripture references – 12 Things Happy Christians Do Differently.  I thought about posting the actual scriptures but instead get out your bibles and let’s dig into God’s word together.

1.     Express gratitude.  Colossians 3:15; Psalm 92:1; 1 Thessalonians 5:18; Philippians 4:6
2.    Cultivate Optimism (or put your hope in the Lord).  Job 13:5; Psalm 9:18; Psalm 25:3; Psalm 25:5; Psalm 52:9; Romans 5:1-3; Romans 15:13
3.    Avoid over-thinking and social comparison.  Galatians 5:25; Galatians 6:4-6
4.    Practice Acts of Kindness.  Proverbs 19:17; 2 Corinthians 9:10-11
5.    Nurture Social Relationships.  John 13:34-35; Romans 12:10; 2 Corinthians 13:11; Ephesians 4:2
6.    Develop strategies for coping.  1 Kings 22:5; Psalms 73:24; 1 Chronicles 16:10-11; Psalm 105:4; Proverbs 3:6; Proverbs 4:11
7.    Learn to forgive.  Ephesians 4:32; Colossians 3:13, Matthew 6:13-15; Matthew 18:35; 2 Corinthians 2
8.    Increase Flow Experiences.  Proverbs 4:25; Colossians 3:2; Colossians 3:23; Hebrews 3:1; Hebrews 12:2
9.    Savor Life’s Joys – Esther 9:22; Psalm 16:11; Philippians 4:4
10. Commit to your goals.  1 Kings 8:61; Proverbs 16:3
11. Practice spirituality (or Get in God’s word).  Luke 12:34; Galatians 5:16; 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18;
12. Take care of your body.  1:Corinthians 6:19-20
 
As you can see, we need repetition.  These are just a few scriptures for each category.  You may know others or better ones for the 12 things. Please share them below.
 
Father, thank you for Your word to remind us of how much you love us and for the life you desire for us here on Earth.  Thank you Lord for your son Jesus Christ who was willing to take on our sins dying on the cross and rising 3 days later so that we may life in You.  Help us to keep our focus on You.  Help us to set goals and make choices that are pleasing to you.  Be with each lady here as we learn to walk closer to You each day.  It’s in Jesus name I pray, Amen.
 
Until next week, much love,
Melanie

2 comments:

  1. AMEN!!! THANKS Mel for that reminder that in every circumstance, it's our choice as to how we react!!! Our happiness OR unhappiness is totally our choice to make!!! Reminds me of "Unglued"- we can't control our circumstances, BUT we can control how we react!!
    AWESOME post :-)
    Kendra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I absolutely Love, Love, Love the scripture references here!!!!! GREAT post. I will forever hear Melanie in my ear saying "Make the choice to be happy!" Thanks Melanie!! xoxo Kelley

    ReplyDelete