Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Chapter 5 – Behavior 2: Thoughts, Words & Habits – I Can’t Help it

Can’t Help it

Joyce says “I can’t help what I think. The thoughts just come whether I want them or not.” So how many of you are shaking your head? Can we simply get an AMEN!!!

Proverbs 18:21 (ESV) says “Death and life are in the power of the tongue, and those who love it will eat its fruit.” Another view from The Message “Words kill, words give life; they’re either poison or fruit – you choose.” Let that sink in for just a moment. Your own words/thoughts can build you up or bring you down. You own words/thoughts has power and influence over you!!

“Words can build us up, Words can break us down. Start a fire in our hearts or Put it all out. Let my words be life, Let my words be truth. I don’t wanna say a word, Unless it points the world back to You.” Words – Hawk Nelson


My first husband was verbally abusive. Though not real bad or extreme, none the less it was there…planted. We separated in July 1999. At the beginning of 2013 it finally dawned on me that it had been about 14 years since I heard his negative words. Yet I was still carrying those negative thoughts in my brain, in my thought closet, ready to think all the time.

Joyce tells us that verbal affirmation helps us stop our negative thoughts. She explains she will verbally say what needs to be heard, and not the bad she is thinking. For the past few months, each time I think I can’t do something, or I am a failure, or they don’t like me, or even I am stupid, I verbally tell myself to stop and I then say something positive.

God is good! His words speak the truth to us!!


· 1 Peter 5:8 “Be sober-minded (keep a cool head): be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour.”

· Matthew 11:29 “Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.”


· 2 Thessalonians 3:5 “Now may the Lord direct your hearts to the love of God and to the steadfastness of Christ.”


· Psalm 19:14 “Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in your sight, O Lord, my rock and my redeemer.”


Ladies, those negative discouraging thoughts are not from our Father, they are lies to bring us down! The next time your thoughts go down the wrong path, “I cant do this, I am a failure, I will never lost weight, I am too busy to exercise…..Stop the thoughts, stop the words, and replace them with positive loving words. It’s not easy and it does take time, but it makes such a difference.


Abba,

I come to you now, thanking you for me the supportive loving father to each one of us. Father I pray that you will help us to both recognize our negative, discouraging thoughts and replace them with your positive loving words. Thank you for all you do for us and all you give us.


<3 Sherry

1 comment:

  1. I posted a comment last night but don't know where it went. Praying in agreement with you and thank you Sherry for this post. One thing I thought of was the saying "fake it until ya make it" - we have to keep repeating positive affirmations & God's truths until we truly believe they apply to us and our situations. So many times I am guilty of thinking God's truths and such apply to everyone but me. We cannot let the devil fill us with these lies. God's truths are for all of us and victory is obtainable with God directing our paths!!

    ReplyDelete