Sunday, July 21, 2013

Chapter 14-Emotional Habits-Emotional Wounds

Chapter 14 - Emotional Reactions/Emotional Wounds



Then Jesus said, “Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest".  Matthew 11:28

Emotions can be no fun!  In fact for us women - emotions can be troublesome most of the time.  Our emotions drive how we behave.  If we're upset or discouraged we might fly off the handle and wreak havoc on every person in our path.   If we get our feelings hurt or we have a self-inflicted pity party,  woe be the atmosphere in our homes.   We are reacting based on our emotions - and ladies, its sad but nowhere does God come into the picture when this is happening. Chances are He does not even cross our mind.

Joyce tells us we need to develop the habit of  'remaining stable in all circumstances'.  If we allow what other people do, or situations that develop to control our behavior, then we become a 'slave' to our emotions.    We must reach out to our Father - allow Him to guide and direct us in every situation. We need to control our emotions rather than our emotions controlling us. We can't do this alone and must have the help of our Father.  AND.......

Along with emotional reactions, many of us have emotional wounds.  Very painful emotional wounds.

Sometimes it's hard for me to believe that my 'Emotional Wounds' continue to affect me today; however, I'm sure they do.  My scars are deep and they started forming when I was a little girl.  For many years I went from situation to situation - each one equally bad.  For years I took them and pushed them as far back out of my heart and mind as possible.  It was a survival mechanism for me. Even today I choose not to let myself dwell on any area that has the potential to affect me emotionally. I believe that God delivered me - He brought me 'Survival Mode'. It's true we each handle our emotions in different ways.  Unfortunately, as women we are known as 'stress' eaters or maybe 'shop-a-holics' (people who shop/get retail therapy when they are emotional).  Neither is healthy.

WebMD tells us:
 "The types of comfort foods a person is drawn toward varies depending on their mood. People in happy moods tended to prefer foods such as pizza or steak (32%). Sad people reached for ice cream and cookies 39% of the time, and 36% of bored people opened up a bag of potato chips."


I'll be honest, I don't remember to go to God every time a situation affects my life and I feel emotions kicking in. I think to myself - "I can handle this!" -  It's easier for me to bury them quickly before having to deal with additional pain.  I do realize that is NOT the answer.

We have to remember we serve a powerful and amazing God.   He represents healing and restoration. He brings comfort,  He  can deliver us from destructive emotions and free us from bondage.  He brings peace and more than anything - HE LOVE US!  Regardless of what we've done or who we are, He loves us! He is full of mercy and grace and it is ours for free!  In Matthew 11:28 He tells us to give him our burdens and He will give us rest.  We have to make turning to him for all things a priority!  Even when you think those wounds are not be affecting you - chances are somewhere in your world - they are.

Joyce tell us that the first step to freedom is to recognize why we do what we do and be determined that, with God's help, we will not stay in bondage.

Make it a habit to turn to him immediately to avoid undesired emotional reactions.

Thoughts for the day

1)  Take a minute to dig deep and recognize what your emotional habits trigger. Eating, shopping, other.  Then implement a plan to start changing your emotional behavior.

2)  Memorize Matthew 11:28- allow it to be your Go To verse when times get tough.

3)  Remember to take some time through the day to pray over your situation.  Let Go and Let God.

Prayers
Dear God, thank you for your blessings.  Thank you for each other, for the sunshine,  and for the opportunity to share.  Father, allow us to recognize our emotional wounds and help us to take steps to move forward in healthy ways.  We love you, honor, and praise you.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment