Friday, July 5, 2013

Chapter 12 – The Habit of Generosity - Make a Plan



 
First let me apologize for this being late.....I spent the day with my husband who has been putting in long hours so it was nice to just enjoy being in each other's company. My kids had gone to my Mom's house for a few days and it was just the two of us.

I have mentioned several times how God is tying this study together with other things I read and hear. Our message on Sunday was from Galatians 5 – Live by the Spirit. As Brother Steve was preaching I thought of this chapter. In order to develop the habit of Generosity as well as the others described in this book, we must learn to walk in the Spirit.

So I say, live by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature. Galatians 5:16

In order to develop the habit of Generosity, we must learn to walk in the Spirit. Isn't it exciting to know that the Holy Spirit lives inside us and is there eagerly waiting to help us in our day to day life. As we learn to listen to his gentle nudging, we will slowly learn to walk with Him, in Him.

Now, I will be honest. I do not necessarily think of myself as being a generous person and when it comes to money, I am not. We are a paycheck to paycheck family and even after 23 years of marriage, finances are our biggest struggle. However, being generous is not all about money! Joyce tells us being generous involves how we treat people.

So to develop the habit of generosity, we need to develop a plan.

First, as always, we need to start in prayer. Each morning, ask God to show you how you can be generous that day. Second, we need to hang out with generous people and follow their example. Third, we need to start thinking about people we can bless and in what ways we can bless them. “The more you think of others, the less time you will have to concentrate on yourself and your own problems.”

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. Galatians 5:22-23

How are some ways you can be a blessing?   Kara gave us some excellent examples yesterday.

Smile! Share a smile today with someone who needs it. (The next time you are at the grocery store, take time to see how many people are smiling. I hope you see a lot but unfortunately, I don't think you will.)
The radio station I listen to, encourages the “Drive-Thru Difference”. You pay for the person behind you in the drive-thru. There is a letter you can print off explaining the drive-thru difference and encouraging them to call and share their experience on the radio. The stories are amazing and both the giver & receiver are blessed.

Share your time. You can volunteer but sometimes just offering to listen to someone is what is needed. I had an experience this week. I was at the car dealership getting my oil changed when I heard a gentleman talking to one of the employees about his wife. She had become very ill and had to have part of her lung removed while on a business trip hundreds of miles from home. As he told the story, I realized our church had been praying for her and I mentioned it to him. Now, when I go get my oil changed, I try to always bring a book so this time was no exception and I was almost at the end. However, when I told the man we had been praying for his wife, the employee excused herself but I could tell the man needed to talk. So I put my book down and listened to his story. His wife is home after a 5 week stay in a Virginia hospital and is on the road to full recovery. Taking time to listen was a total blessing to me and I thank God for that opportunity. I am also glad this man was able to talk and get things off his chest. I could see him relaxing as he talked and was able to tell me about his struggles during this difficult time.

Joyce mentions looking at our belongings and seeing what things we can get rid of. This is something I desperately need to do. Since many of us are trying to lose weight, I suggest getting rid of your bigger clothes as we go down sizes. We don't want to go back there – ever. I know many of us have but this time will be different!! Believe it!! Plan it!! Achieve it!! You can do it.

This got me thinking about my garden last year. One of the biggest joys of having a garden was getting to share the abundance I had. It was so fun to take basket fulls of fresh produce I grew to my friends and family. I am thinking next year of maybe starting a community garden at our church.

Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. Galatians 5:25

Joyce tells us to be creative and pray for God to show you ways to be able to bless people. The more generous you become, the more you will be blessed in your own life. What are some healthy ways you can be generous today? Please share below.


Father, thank you for your amazing love that you so generously give to each of us. Help us to daily be generous with the blessings you have bestowed on us. I know as we learn to be generous, you will bless us even more. Be with each woman and her family in this amazing group you have allowed me to be in. You know the needs of each woman and I just ask for a special blessing on them today. I especially want to pray for Leanne and her husband. Father I know the perfect job is out there and you are opening the doors. Please give them patience as they wait on your timing. You have promised to provide for their needs and I trust that you will. I love you and it is in Jesus' holy name I pray, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment