Monday, July 1, 2013

CHAPTER 12 Behavior 9: The Habit of Generosity

Focus Scriptures:

"It is well with the man who deals generously and lends, who conducts his affairs with justice." 
Psalm 112: 5

"God delights in a person with a willing and a generous heart. He loves a cheerful giver."
 2 Corinthians 9: 7

"The merciful, kind, and generous man benefits himself [for his deeds return to bless him], but he who is cruel and callous [to the wants of others] brings on himself retribution."
Proverbs 11: 17




WOW, I am not sure how much more toe stomping I can take! I am sitting here thinking about all the times someone asked me to do something for them and I only did  it after thinking about it  because I did not want to deal with the guilt of not doing it. The truth  is I did not really want to whatever that thing was. Sometimes the feeling of not wanting to get involved  really was not against the person.  It was my own insecurities about what the favor was, like driving into unknown territory. I get  feelings of panic sometimes when I have to drive some where that I am unfamiliar. I know that is actually fear. We are not suppose to be afraid. Honestly though it is the truth.  There are others times I dodge helping someone by not  giving them money, why, because I am thinking about my own budget. What is that called? Selfishness.  Is anyone else relating?

I think I have a touch of self-centeredness, I did not even know it. I am not sure I like it.  In fact I know I do not like it!
 Can you  relate with me?   What do we do about it? Joyce says to overcome being self centered we are going to have to be intentional in our giving. Actively thinking about the people we are around on any given day. Listening and maybe even taking notes about the things they say they need and see if we can help them.

This is not going to be easy at first but nothing of  any value is. Let us be intentional in our giving.  Learning to give with a true giving heart!


Prayer:

Lord let us begin to look at those who have a need  as an opportunity to give and give with truly giving heart, as Joyce said, Lord when we give we are truly the most like you.

In Jesus Name, Amen

P.S. Please continue to pray for my husband. He still out of work. Thanks!


1 comment:

  1. very good post that makes one think. Make me more like Jesus.

    ReplyDelete