Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Chapter 12 - The Habit of Generosity - Generosity is the Answer to Greed

Greed is defined as wanting more than is needed. I picture a person who wants, and wants. A company that is making money, turning a profit, but not sharing with the employees, yet they want more. I want more money to spend, I want more food to eat, I don’t want to share, I want, I want, I want….

I want more, and more. As you want more, you are never get satisfied, and you can never enjoy life…
Greed is all about us and our needs, our wants. We live in a world that tells us we are entitled, we need to think of self, and we don’t need to share! Greed makes us selfish and self-centered! Ole smutty face is dancing on the side cheering us right down this path.

Yet as Christians the bible tells us to give and help others.
·         Luke 6:38 “Give, and it will be given to you. Good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over, will be put into your lap. For with the measure you use it will be measured back to you.”
·         Proverbs 11:24-25 “One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want. Whoever brings blessing will be enriched, and one who waters will himself be watered.”
·         2 Corinthians 9:6 “The point is this: whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows bountifully will also reap bountifully.”

God wants us to be generous – to be loving and giving. Being generous is what takes the focus off of us and puts our focus onto someone else or something else.
The next time you feel as if greed is starting to step in, take that as a sign you need to be generous to someone or somewhere out there.

Abba,
I want to thank you for being the Loving, Generous father to all of us. Lord I pray that you will instill in each of us a loving, giving, generous heart and take way any greed that seems to settle in our hearts.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment