Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Chapter 2 Section 3 - Faith Lives in the Present


I chose this day because I believe I have strong faith. Though I doubt and worry I always have that gut feeling, knowing in the end…it will all be OK! As I reached the end of this chapter I was a bit uncomfortable…God reminded me there are still areas I need to work on.

This chapter is all about your faith living in TODAY. It doesn’t matter if you ate cookies 2 weeks ago. It doesn't matter that you could not maintain healthy eating when we started this bible study. What matters is stepping up and taking control now, today. We can talk about eating right, we can talk about exercising, we can talk about our plan to eat healthy for 21+ days, but until you actually roll up your sleeves and dig in, it’s nothing but talk…

James 2:17 tells us “So also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.”  

OUCH! I have to confess. We started this bible study last week I have made no real changes. So that verse and my words above actually sting. Let me tell you, I have excuses. Last week was a busy week for me, new clients, on the road, on the metro, and tired. Nothing but excuses. Yet we talked about creating new habits and tossing out the old ones. Yet the devil was on the sidelines cheering on my excuses…I didn’t have faith in myself or in God to get me through the week to eat healthy!

1st we need to live in the present and do what needs to be done. Joyce tells us that “We need not wait for some special word from God telling us what to do.” Just like we know we have to wash cloths, we do not wait for God to tell us to wash cloths, we just do it, and we obey. So take that leap.

2nd We need to be less consumed about what we can’t eat, less consumed with thinking about the chocolate cupcake sitting over there in the wrapper.  Matthew 6: 31-32 “Therefore do not be anxious, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all.”

Did you hear that? God knows exactly what you need!! No need to be wrapped up in eating, or worrying about what to eat next. God, our Abba, will provide your needs. So instead of thinking of what you can or cannot eat, or what not-good-for-us-goodie is sitting in the cupboard, change your thoughts to God. Repeat Philippians 4:13 “I can do all things (resist eating unhealthy food) through Christ who strengthens me.” Constantly remind yourself of 1 Corinthians 10:13 “No temptation (that sweet sitting on the table) has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.” Get away from the food (temptation), pray to God, and go walking!

3rd We need to remember, eating health is all about being outside of our comfort zone for a bit. I can tell you I love food, fatty food, southern food, & sweets. So making a change is difficult. Joyce tells us “Don’t start eating right or exercising when it is convenient to you. Do it now.” That’s another OUCH for me! Last week, despite my schedule, and being tired, I should have buckled down and eaten healthy.  I had the right tools (healthy choices) but chose unwisely.

Ladies Our Challenge: Take a leap of faith. Yes, it is time to hand our “What shall we eat?” right back over to God. Create a food plan for a week that works with your budget. Plan it down to the exact amount of salt! Then take it meal by meal. Reaching out to God when you are tempted.

Abba, I want to thank you for always being a daddy who is there for us, loving us and providing us with our needs. I pray that you will help each one of us get through the road blocks, the temptations, that keep us from maintaining healthy habits. Father, I pray that you strengthen our faith with you, allowing us to reach the level where we are able to make those healthy choices without even thinking about it. Abba thank you for being the wonderful daddy that loves us throughout. Amen

6 comments:

  1. Sherry, thank you for this. I absolutely loved the scripture references throughout that cut me like a knife - it's one thing to be disobedient to myself or to my family - but nothing gets to me more than being disobedient to God. I've done great, lost a nice chunk of weight but since then talk has been cheap for me....21 days to make a new habit and break a bad habit. What's 21 days? that's a drop in a bucket in the grand scheme of a lifetime.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this thank you for sharing with us. Determined, Dedicated, Disciplined to our ABBA!! WE CAN DO THIS!! Praying!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This blog stung and hurt me too. It opened up my eyes!! ! - Determined. Dedicated and Disciplined to our ABBA! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your blog Sherry. Sometimes it takes a few stomps on my toes to get me going - ouch ouch ouch!! Borrowing your line above...Determined, Dedicated and Disciplined to our ABBA! Printing this and putting it on my desk as a reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this blog Sherry. It was exactly what I needed to hear today.

    ReplyDelete