Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Chapter 1 Section 3 Reprogram


Joyce tells us that “The more you do it, the more entrenched the program becomes.” Habits both good and bad seem to dig right in. I smoked for 18 years. Once I quit, it was quite easy for food to become my new habit. Eating just because….

We all have a few bad habits that we need to change. Spending money, eating bad foods, smoking, or talking to yourself negatively. As Leanne shared with us on Monday, these bad habits take away our joy….Of course! We feel bad, we feel like failures. So what can we do? We begin by simply acknowledging the negative trait we need to change and then begin to reprogram ourselves. 

A few months ago I decided to change my thinking habit. My thought closet was filled with negative words about myself. You know those words to yourself….you can’t do this, you are stupid, you aren’t good enough…my list can go on. My first step was to stop the negative self-talk. It was far from easy!! Each time a negative thought about myself would come up, I would literally tell myself to stop and think of something positive about myself. Repetition and reprogramming !  It took some time, but I can say my thought closet is beginning to be more positive than negative.

Yesterday Kelley talked about Repetition – Praying and Seeking God, over and over. Recall scripture, reach out to an accountability partner. Whatever it takes to get rid of the bad habit and replacing it with the Good…Doing it over and over!

Ladies we need to reprogram not only how we talk to ourselves, but how we eat. Maybe you have to literally take it one meal at a time. Begin with eating a healthy breakfast each and every day. Or you could begin with eating frozen or dried fruits instead of chips or candy. Make the choice. Then as time goes on make more healthy choices, healthy lunches, and healthy dinners. Remember that “through repetition you can become organized in that area.” It will be difficult, but will get easier. Day by day or simply moment by moment. With each choice, each moment, take the time to think about what you are doing and why.

Charles Dickens said, “I could never have done what I have done without the habits of punctuality, order, and diligence, without the determination to concentrate myself on one subject at a time.”

It’s so easy to give in but we know that “No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.” 1Cor 10:13

Assignment for Today:
  1. Replace one bad habit for a good habit – Healthy Breakfast daily (over & over) instead of skipping a breakfast or making poor choices – (21 days to make a new habit)
  2. Replace your negative thoughts with good ones. Write down positive about yourself…Remember, You are beautiful, smart, and God’s daughter.
  3. Pick a time each day and seek God, seek his words! Being in the scripture allows us to better fight what satan throws at us.


Abba, I want to thank you for being the wonderful, forgiving and loving father to each one of us. I pray that you continue to guide us through our personal temptations and demons, giving us guidance and wisdom to make the correct choices that will allow each of us to break free from these negative habits. Abba I pray that you will reach each and every one of these Jesus Girls, and get us out of the rut we seem to have gotten in to. Amen

6 comments:

  1. AWESOME JOB Sherry!!!! Thank you for sharing your heart and your experiences right here!!!! I am absolutely loving that you guys are blogging and I get to read....super sweet! HUGS! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sherry, Um, you must have been sitting next to me as you blogged and I did the devotion. It is not up yet, due to my lack of education in spelling and such, it will be up once it is tweeked and looked over, however, it is right in alignment with you blog, I love love love, when the holy spirit confirms things. God is amazing and thank you for your blog, This is good stuff going on. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing. I also felt like you were talking about me. One of my biggest negative self talk right now is "you're a horrible mom." Then I see other kids when we are out and think wow I'm not as bad as I thought I was. Thanks again for your post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bad habit for good habit should be an easy one...soda for water

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome post!! I just read on Joyce's fb page and she suggested turning negative thoughts by reminding yourself, "I am making progress."! Small steps lead to big results. One small step I am making is I am trying to make several "clean" suppers each week. Tommorow is crockpot Italian Chicken.

    ReplyDelete